Friday, December 30, 2016

I Know It's Pathetic but That Was the Greatest Night of My Life

It was backstage in Moscow late one night
We shared a cigarette, a kiss goodbye
Her name was Cayenne, so young and soft
Her hands trembled badly, her eyes trailed off
To bottles and objects around the room
My backup guitar, a tray of food
We didn't have very much to say
She said that she'd come from some other place
A town called Troyskirt, maybe Troysworth
I was pretty distracted packing my stuff
But I did make a point to ask her to stay
But she said she had friends that she had to go see
Later that summer I picked up my mail
She sent me a letter with a touching detail
"I used up my minutes calling hotels
To find you that night but to no avail"
"I know it's pathetic, " she continued to write,
"But that was the greatest night of my life."

Sun Kil Moon